Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Eggless Sugee Cashew Nut Cookies

I got this recipe from the newspapers way back in February 2000. It's now 2007 as I write this and I have always made them for Chinese New Year. They're easy to make BUT since I'm the impatient kind, I always rope in my kids to help me in step 3. Warning: Kids = missing cookies.

A note: Sugee or semolina is ground from hard wheat into granules. So the cookies will have a crunchy or grainy texture.You can grind the sugee granules by using an electric coffee grinder if you prefer smoother texture cookies.

INGREDIENTS

200g cold butter, diced
100g caster sugar
1 tsp grated orange rind

200g plain flour sifted together with
1 tsp baking powder
150g ground sugee

Small to medium-sized cashew nuts

DIRECTIONS
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange rind.
2. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and the ground sugee until well mixed.
3. Roll mixture into cherry sized balls and shape into ovals. Split the cashew nut into two. Press only one side of the cashew nut into the centre of the oval shaped dough. Shape the dough in a half-moon, or cashew-nut shape.
4. Arrange on lightly greased baking trays.
5. Bake in preheated moderate oven 175 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
6. Transfer onto wire racks to cool before storing in airtight container.

No comments: