1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups applesauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour tube pan.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream the sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add applesauce and molasses and mix in.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat well to moisten. Fold in the raisins.
5. Pour into a prepared fluted or straight sided tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Cake will not rise to top of pan. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Mamanags says: I've modified the recipe a bit. The original called for shortening instead of margarine and 1 tsp ground clove instead of 1/4 tsp.